My life with my three main men:)

Monday, May 9, 2011

Sleep Training

I hate sleep training.

The biggest challenge so far in raising our incredible, sweet, handsome baby boy has been sleep. Getting him sleep, keeping him to sleep, and all of it in between.

I can remember (thanks to facebook) asking when he was 5 weeks old, what routines work for establishing a sleep routine. Most supportive friends would tell us to do what works best for our family, there is no one right way.

Well, it sure feels like we must have done something wrong. Because our baby boy does NOT sleep through the night. And NEVER* has. (*we have had maybe 5 nights of 7 hours straight sleep MAX*) That is right we have been up all through the night now for NINE months. Whew......I wish I was one of those people that liked 5-6 hours of sleep. Oh no.....I like 9-10 and some days 12 hours of sleep.

Around 4 months, we were told to let him start falling asleep in the crib by himself. That did NOT work at all. I don't think I was ready to hear him cry. We tried at 5, 6 & 7 months but failed each time. I just embraced that I was going to rock my baby to sleep for all naps and bedtime. Seemed like a plan I could handle.

Until I hit a breaking point a few weeks ago. I was so sleep deprived and clueless that I hired a sleep consultant to formulate a plan for our family. Getting her email, I cried. Not surprising for me, but it was just a relief to have support & a plan. It is not an easy plan but I know I have TO DO IT to help my son learn to put himself to sleep.

We are in week 4 and at times I feel great and other times I want to give up. Especially because we got off routine last week when we returned to Overland Park for my grandfathers funeral. I think we both were exhausted from the emotional and physical challenge of being there. And now we are trying to get back on course.

The good days are when he goes to sleep within 20 minutes of crying, the bad days are 2 hours of crying. And each and every time we put him in his crib, he cries without FAIL. I know other moms have told me that the first night was 30 minutes of crying, 2nd 15 minutes, 3rd 5 minutes and then no crying. I am just hoping that in another 4 weeks, we have hit no crying. I will keep you posted.

On the positive side, baby boy said MAMA yesterday for mothers day. BEST GIFT EVER!!!

(although it does stink to put him in the crib and walk away with him hysterically crying and now he can say mama)

Well, here is to some day sleeping through the night:) Trust me, it will be a full blown celebration in our house when it occurs 2 nights in a row:)

1 comment:

  1. Brady didn't sleep through the night for the first time until 10 months old. We did sleep training at 10 months and after a few weeks he started sleeping all night! That lasted about 2 months. Then at 12 months i took him off the bottle so i started patting his back to get him to fall asleep at nap and bed time. MOST nights he sleeps from 830 pm until 6 or 630 am now, but we still have a bad night from time to time. Hang in there mama. For us setting the same routine (bath, milk and snack, book and then bed) works best but I'm sure every kid Is different. I definitely think sleep (or lack of) has been one of the hardest parts of parenthood! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete